DevOps is a very beneficial approach to software development. It helps to make releases smoother and simpler thanks to the automation of routine processes. DevOps methodology employs several principles. These principles explain the main idea of a DevOps approach.
- Infrastructure as Code (IaC). The DevOps approach allows creating and customizing deployment infrastructure. DevOps engineer makes a deployment environment and writes a textual file with settings for this environment. A file is called manifest. Then the developer can change manifest and receive the new environment version for smoke tests. Thus, both specialists spend less time on this task, because DevOps can manage the infrastructure all the time and the developer doesn’t need to bother DevOps engineer every time he needs a new environment version.
- Continuous Integration and Deployment (CI/CD). DevOps services provide automation of the software development routine. The developer writes code in small chunks, this is more convenient for testing and deployment than big parts of code. After writing, the developer can test new code independently without bothering DevOps engineer and QA engineer.
- Continuous Monitoring and Logging. DevOps transformation allows automating infrastructure monitoring. DevOps engineer doesn’t need to stare at the monitor for hours because the system can gather data on its own. Sefl-healing infrastructure can quickly restart after an incident and log the problem automatically. DevOps engineer just sees the log in a convenient time and can solve the issue without a rush.
These principles form the DevOps methodology. DevOps services help to automate the software development cycle. The most popular approach before the DevOps was a Waterfall model. This is a strictly planned model where the developer writes a big part of code at once. Then the QA engineer needs to test it and then IT Operations need to deploy it. There is a lot of mess with deployment for tests and other routine processes.
Benefits of DevOps services
DevOps is a very beneficial approach for all the internal processes. Let’s have a look at the most important benefits for the business.
- Cost-efficiency. DevOps transformation needs investments at the start but it becomes cost-efficient very quickly. The software development cycle becomes shorter, so you have releases faster and can deliver products to your end-users more regularly.
- Competitiveness increase. As you have faster releases, you become more competitive on the market. The faster you satisfy user requirements, the better for your product.
- Team cohesiveness. Automated processes make the work of the team easier and more efficient. Also, DevOps provides cohesive relations in the team. So, you have a satisfied friendly team which likes their work and wouldn’t leave your company.
How to implement DevOps services?
DevOps approach is a great decision for the software development business. If you want to implement it in your company, you should find an experienced DevOps team that will make a DevOps transformation. The best way is to hire a dedicated team because you can “send” them to do the project and then just say goodbye without regrets. Also, you can hire a part of the team for infrastructure management.
Wrapping up, DevOps methodology is very efficient and beneficial for the business. DevOps transformation might take time and investments but the result is not long in coming.